A Short History Lesson...
Taken from: History of Dearborn County - 1915 (Archibald Shaw), pg 192 - Lawrenceburg Public Library
North and west from the city of Lawrenceburg, and adjoining on to it by the corporation line between it and Mill street, the town of Greendale lies along an extended gravel ridge, supposed to have been thrown up during the glacial period. It overlooks the broad valley of the Great Miami and fives a fine view of the surrounding hills, the Kentucky hills just across the Ohio, Fort Hill and and the range of beautifully rounded elevations on the farther side of the Miami, reaching to the bold promontory that juts out overlooking the confluence of the Miami and the Whitewater. To the north the low range of hills reaches from the state line to Cemetery hill, just north of the beautiful Greendale Cemetery. To the west overlooking the town standing some three or four hundred feet above it, is the long range of hills that are led up to by the old state road, that has had such history to recount of the early pioneer days when it was a thoroughfare and along which the men and women who peopled the country to the west took their way.
This finely situated town was laid out in the year 1852 by Stephen Ludlow, but not recorded until 1883. Subdivisions have been added at different times by James H. Lane, William Tate and the Greendale Land Company. The population of the town is growing. The census of 1910 showed 697.
It has a good public school building, is furnished with electric lighting and waterworks, by contract and franchise, by A.D. Cook, manufacturer of well supplies. The main street has recently been laid with concrete and good concrete pavements have been laid that make it not only a very desirable residence town, but it is unexcelled as a manufacturing place. The Cook Well Company, W.P. Squibb Distilling Company, the H.P. Diehl Company, fireworks manufacturers, the Greendale Distilling Company, and James Walsh & Company, distillers, are the manufacturers. It is claimed for the town that it is, in proportion to the population, the wealthiest corporation in the country.
Taken from: History of Dearborn and Ohio Counties - 1885 (F.E. Weakley & Company Publishing), pg. 425 - Lawrenceburg Public Library
To the north and west of the city of Lawrenceburgh, scattered along a commanding ridge overlooking the valley and bottom lands of the Ohio and Miami, and the distant Kentucky hills, and extending nearly to Hardinsburgh, is located the pleasant suburban village of Greendale, in main comprised of beautiful homes, the residences of many doing business in the city. Here are located the beautiful cemetery grounds bearing the name of the village. The incorporation of the place occurred in 1872. In 1883 Stephen Ludlow laid out and had recorded some thirty-six lots, under the name of Greendale.
The Greendale Cemetery Association was incorporated in 1865. The incorporators purchased some thirty acres of ground of Joseph Hayes, located, as above stated, along the beautiful ridge laying to the north and west of the city of Lawrenceburgh. The cemetery was very tastefully laid out (the design being made by Benjamin Grove, an engineer from the city of Louisville) by a Mr. Ihle, a landscape gardener, in 1867. The managers for the first year were E.G. Hayes, John Anderegg, A.A. Helfer, Gen. T.J. Lucas, O.T. Stockman, A. Beckman and D.W.C. Fitch. The cemetery was dedicated September 21, 1867, the address being delivered by Rev. B.W. Childlaw. The grounds are very beautiful, rendered so by the abundance of shade trees, choice shrubbery and the many elegant and costly monuments.